Wednesday 7 March 2012

Batata nu shaak ( Gujarati potato curry )

MMMMMMM!!!! Talk about comfort food! This dish just takes 1/2 hour from start to finish, only uses a few ingredients and you can add whatever else you like to make a variation! How good is that!! It really is one of my dishes that i cook when i need a bit of soothing and comforting. It is an absolute must with poori's on special occasions, but for an everyday shaak it is just as wonderful with chappati's. When i cooked this particular curry i had some okra left over, which i noticed at the last minute so i decided to fry them up and put them in at the last minute which was really nice and different. The shame is that i forgot to take a photo after i had added the okra. We were just too hungry! It was probably at about 10:00 at night knowing me! :-) I find cooking such a relaxation method for me. I start the dinner in plenty of time but i just don't get it done in time! I put this down to me enjoying it too much and just kinda going off on one with it. My husband hates it! I do try, but i just cant help myself. I suppose a bonus of this is he will be ravenous to by the time his dinner is put in front of him, he would love it! :-) This really isn't my prerogative though I promise :-)



Ingredients:-

About 4 medium potato's ( peeled and cubed )
1 large juicy tomato ( washed and cubed )
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp garlic paste
1 green chilli
1 tbs oil
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 - 1 tsp cashmere chilli powder to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp coriander - cumin powder
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
about tbs lemon juice
fresh coriander



Directions:-

1) In a hot pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds until they crackle and pop
2) Then add the cumin seeds and asafoetida, take of the heat and fry for about 10 seconds.
3) Add the ginger, garlic, chilli and fry for about 30 seconds.
4) Put back onto the heat and add the tomato's and cook until all nice and mushy and the oil starts to separate
5) Add the spices and a splash of warm water and cook for about a minute or so.
6) Add the chopped potato's and give the whole thing a really good mix to coat all of the potato's with the mixture.
7) Cover simmer on a gentle heat for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and tender.
8) Add the coriander and lemon juice and give it all a good stir, and serve hot.

Variation:-
1) You could add an extra tomato, or vegetables of choice like peas, or cauliflower.
2) it is nice to add some fresh coriander when you add the cumin seeds and asafoetida to the oil and fry.

3 comments:

  1. hi
    I have tasted some great food at your house and I can highly recommend these receipes to anyone
    Love it all !!!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie! This means sooooo much to me!!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hey... came across your blog while surfing through food pages! Happy to connect... :)

    Visit me @ www.cookingwithsj.com or www.facebook.com/cookingwithsj :)

    ReplyDelete